[Samba] RE: Version 2.2.6 and above are not able to store big fil es over 2GB

Ken Walker ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 19:21:13 GMT 2002

Here are my tests using a LM8.1 ( samba 2.2.2 ext2 ) and LM9 ( samba 2.2.7
ext3)

Using Tar to copy 8Gig comprising 5 folders and umpteen files.

From	    to	File system	 Max file size allowed	Max file size system

LM8.1	    LM9	    ext3			2Gig			4Gig
LM8.1	  Win2000	    ntfs			2Gig
4Gig
LM8.1	   Win98	    fat32			2Gig
4Gig

Also tried using cp, as above, with a 4Gig file and it still bombed out at
2Gig.

So it looks like if you want to copy a file out of or into a samba server
that's bigger than 2G. forget it. It doesn't even respect the target
operating systems max file size.

Any answers from the Samba Team ?

Mr Smiley ( stuck in a corner and basically buggered :o(  )