[Samba] Questions on fs mounting

Wirawan Purwanto wirawan0 at softhome.net
Tue Dec 3 18:52:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have some questions concerning mounted fs on a linux system. I run
redhat linux 7.3 on my laptop, and when I hook it up to a desktop
Windows 2000 Pro machine, I usually mount (part of) the Windows
directories onto my linux dir tree (say, it is to /mnt/samba). I use the
following command:

    mount /mnt/samba

to mount the filesystem (file /usr/bin/smbmount has suid root, so I can
do this as a user), and in /etc/fstab, it has the following line:

    //desktop_pc/drive-C    /mnt/samba    smbfs
noauto,user,credentials=/etc/.samba-password 0 0

Here //desktop_pc/drive-C refers to the SMB share in my Windows 2000
machine. This refers to drive C: in that machine, which has NTFS
filesystem. Note that I install Cygwin on the Windows 2000 machine; so I
have much a unix-like environment there.

My question is this: does smbfs support unix-like (or NT-like) file
access control (like -rwxr-x---, or something like that)? As far as now,
I always see ONLY -rwxrwxr-x or drwxrwxr-x. This is kind of annoying,
since I saw variety of permission in when I check the files under
Windows machine.

Please cc: me when you reply, since I'm not subscribed on samba mailing
list.

Thanks,
Wirawan