[Samba] printing and other questions

Jean-Francois Pelletier jf at heartsome.net
Tue Dec 3 11:03:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem as you last week. So maybe it's the same
solution? I could see the printer from Win XP, but when I printed
nothing happened. What gave me the clue for solving the problem is when
I tried to print a test page from Windows XP; it said "Access Denied"
(but the other applications would apparently print just fine, no error
messages, but nothing came out of the printer).

I solved this by giving rwx right to everybody for my spool directory.
Actually, I didn't use /var/spool/samba but the one created when I
installed my printer under Linux. In my case:
/var/spool/lpd/Brother_HL-1650. When I gave rwx permissions to
/Brother_HL-1650 then it worked perfectly.

Hope that this helps!

Jean-Francois Pelletier