[Samba] netbios-ns

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 2 23:29:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Judy Lin wrote:

> Yes, I know that I am running it via xinetd.  I'm just wondering why I get
> a flood of these-- netbios-ns being continually started and then timed
> out.  Wondering what the windows machine on the other end is attempting to
> do.

nmbd is the NetBIOS name resolution service provider. MS Windows clients
continually make calls the lookup NetBIOS names to locate the IP address.
If you run nmbd out of xinetd then it will start up for each name lookup
request and then when finished will shut down. You obviously have a lot of
name lookup requests to service. My advice would be DO NOT run nmbd or
smbd out of xinetd but run them as daemons.

The benefits are:
	1. Reduced delays in servicing NetBIOS name lokup requests
	2. The nmbd daemon will run continually
	3. Substantial improvement in MS Windows client responsiveness

As I said, your problem is that you run nmbd via xinetd, not as a daemon.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org