[Samba] Windows client refuses multiple print copies when printing to samba printer

Locutus locutus266 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 31 07:54:00 GMT 2002

Hello

I have got the following problem:
My Samba printer doesn't allow multiple copies, when trying to print from a
client machine. (Unix printing works fine with multple copies). When I enter
more than one copy into the "number of copies" field on a WinXP client
machine, I get the error message "This printer cannot print the specified
amount of copies. The amount of copies is restricted to 1." (The error
message may be a little bit different, because I am using a german version
of Windows, it should be like that, though.)

I am using Windows XP Pro on the client machines. My printer is a "HP
DeskJet 845c" usb printer.

This is an excerpt from my smb.conf:
[global]
        (...)
        printing = lprng
        printer driver file = /usr/share/samba/winpdrv/printers.def

[PRINT$]
        comment = Windows printer driver
        path = /usr/share/samba/winpdrv
        public = yes
        read only = yes
        browseable = no

[printer]
        comment = HP DeskJet 845C
        path = /var/spool/samba
        public = yes
        read only = yes
        browseable = yes
        printable = yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %J
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %J
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %J
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
        printer driver = hp deskjet 845c
        printer driver location = \\%L\PRINT$

(...)

Everything works fine. The installation of the printer driver under Windows
works as expected and the printing jobs are processed normally. The only
problem is, that I cannot print more than one jobs at a time.

This is my printcap file:

lp|printer
        :rw:\
        :cm=HP DeskJet 845C:\
        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :mc#50:

(I also tried "#0", "=0" and "=50" for ":mc:") (maximum copies) => Didn't
work :-/

Perhaps anyone of you has got some experiences with this?
I searched through half the internet, but I could not find something.

Thanks in advance

Greetings,
Locutus