[Samba] Authenticating users over samba

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 30 07:40:01 GMT 2002

Kovar Jan wrote:

> Hello.
> I am administrating about 30PCs with W2K and users are authenticated in
> SAMBA running as PDC on Linux. About 16PCs have the possibillity to boot
> also into Linux. I would like to authenticate also linux users using the
> samba, because I do not want to copy passwd, group, shadow each time I add a
> user, or even add the user on each PC. I do not use LDAP a do not know NIS.
> Is it possible to use samba for such a thing? Any tips?

You could take a look at this article:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/shared/printArticle.jhtml?article=/1305/1305ws1full.html&pub=nwc

It shows a way to do this sort of thing without winbind.

I think you can't get away from having an *account* on each PC, but the
*password* verification is done against the PDC.

Seems like some account verification is done outside of PAM or in such a
  way that you can't get it done against the PDC.

But maybe it's nicer if you use a Linux PDC.  I (and the article's
author, probably), only tried this against a Win2K PDC.