[Samba] Problems with joining NT Domain

Nick Couchman nick at seakr.com
Fri Aug 30 03:57:00 GMT 2002

Make sure you either add the samba server to the Windows NT Server Manger
or run the smbpasswd command with the option '-U Administrator' and enter
your Windows NT Administrator password when prompted.  Also make sure
that you specify the Primary Domain Controller (NOT a Backup Domain
Controller) after the '-r' option of smbpasswd.  So your command should
look something like this: "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -U Administrator"
(unless you have already added the samba server to the Server Manager, in
which case you can leave off the '-U Administrator').

--Nick

Peter Milburn wrote:

> I am having problems getting samba to join a Windows NT Domain.
> I have done a debug.
>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name HPKFPN1<0x20>
> resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name HPKFPN1<0x20>
> Connecting to 10.1.1.5 at port 445
> error connecting to 10.1.1.5:445 (Connection refused)
> Connecting to 10.1.1.5 at port 139
> lsa_io_sec_qos: length c does not match size 8
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name HPKFPN1<0x20>
> resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name HPKFPN1<0x20>
> Connecting to 10.1.1.5 at port 445
> error connecting to 10.1.1.5:445 (Connection refused)
> Connecting to 10.1.1.5 at port 139
> cli_net_req_chal: LSA Request Challenge from HPKFPN1 to MIGHTYSERV:
> 54D60F0167E74E69
> cred_session_key
> cred_create
> cli_net_auth2: srv:\\HPKFPN1 acct:MIGHTYSERV$ sc:6 mc: MIGHTYSERV chal
> 67EB9C3CD902A177 neg: 1ff
> cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
> cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
> modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
> HPKFPN1. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
> 2002/08/30 14:50:28 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> password for domain SPORTODDS.
> Unable to join domain xxxx
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete
> --

You can't make a difference until you are willing to be different.
--
Nick Couchman
SEAKR Engineering