[Samba] trouble saving files to network shares in win2k

Ryan Braun rbraun3 at mbox.rrc.mb.ca
Thu Aug 29 11:41:00 GMT 2002

I am having some trouble saving some files to a network share after they have been opened for a few minutes.  My case in point is I have samba 2.2.4 setup on redhat 7.3 as a PDC and win2k clients.  I have the users saving their outlook.pst to their home directory (H:) and not in their profile.  The outlook files are all over 150 meg so trying to save some bandwidth.

The users can open outlook, send/receive, use calender and contacts and basically everything works right off the hop.  But when you keep outlook open in the background for about 5-10 minutes, and then try to go back to outlook,  it always gives a cannot read h:\outlook.pst.  So you close outlook and open it up again and it works fine.  The same goes for MS Publisher working with files saved on the H: drive aswell.  It will open up fine and you can save changed for the first while,  but then it will give you the same type of error after a while.

I know there must be some kind of timeout setting I need to adjust,  but I am not sure if this has to do with samba or with win2k.  any help would be appreciated.

Ryan