[Samba] Additional info on loopback, UDP, session request failed

Andrew andrew at carroll-tech.net
Wed Aug 28 23:57:01 GMT 2002

Dear representative,

I've been trying to track down an error in the samba log file:
"open_oplock_ipc: Failed to get local UDP socket for address 100007f. Error was Can't assign requested address."

Finally, I found a "sort-of" similar message in about 10 different documents from the samba maillists.
The reason it was difficult to find is that the message was a session request failed (code 0) and all
the ones on the list had different text in the ( ).  Just out of curiosity I checked to see if my localhost
device was "up".  ifconfig command revealed that even though I specified to bring it up in /etc/defaults, etc/rc.conf,
it was still not "running".

So, in addition to the umpteen messages about localhost or the loopback interface or 127.0.0.1 being configured
correctly I would like to post this message to specifically say what I read over.

"CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR LOOPBACK INTERFACE IS RUNNING!!!!"

I use FreeBSD so to do this I type
>>ifconfig

and it displays information about each interface in brackets like:
lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST> mtu 16384
      inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

The important part is of course the UP and RUNNING portions that I didn't even think to check and so many
other bug resolvers didn't mention.  Anyway, it is now said specifically.

Thank you.