[Samba] Problems with mapping drives

sspitzner at planalytics.com sspitzner at planalytics.com
Wed Aug 28 10:06:00 GMT 2002

I submitted a request 2 days ago about having problems mapping one share out of
70. I have found the fix, but I would like to have an answer as to why the
problem
occurred.

History:
     We have about 70 shares mapped with Samba, using winbindd for
authentication.
We had about 10 users that could not map their shares. They would get an error
of:
could not chdir to the appropriate directory on the Samba side, and Network Name
not
Found on the Windoze side.

Problem:
     The problem turned out to be that the user name was all lower case in NT.
We
renamed the user to have the first two characters to be upper case, and the rest
lower
case. Winbindd did not care, it would map it properly anyway. However once we
changed the login id on the Windoze side, we needed to remove that entry from
the
idmap.tdb file. There is really no tool that will enable us to remove just that
one ID, and
it would not pick up the new ID with the old one remaining in the file.

Resolution:
     We did a wbinfo -n <username> to obtain the SID of the offending user. Then
go into tdbtool using the database winbindd_idmap.tdb. Then we could issue the
delete command with the SID as the key. At this point, the user could map their
share and all were happy.

Question(s):
     Why would Samba (2.2.5) not allow an all lower case name?
     Why is there not a method for doing the remove/refresh from the idmap.tdb
file?
     As opposed to the gyrations I had to go through.

TIA
Sam