[Samba] SMBMOUNT reporting strange file sizes

Greg J. Zartman greg at leiinc.com
Wed Aug 28 07:08:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a question regarding mounting a samba share. I have mounted a
share using mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=xxx //server/share
/opt/directory this works fine and I am able to read the data and back
it up using rsync.  The problem is I have a 8.2 gig exchange backup file
which is 5.3 gigs on the disk and I am seeing it as a 500 meg file. I am
aware that I can't copy the file to my linux server so I sync it a
windows box at a different location but I am concerned why it is seeing
the file as 500 meg. Is there a limitation with samba or is this related
to the limitation of ext2 ?

Thank you.

--
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.