[Samba] tdb failure when attempting to use Samba

Andrew Hewson andrew at blewbury.ndo.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 03:57:01 GMT 2002

I have successfully implemented Samba in the past but I am now perplexed by
a new installation which fails smbstatus with the message:
"tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/brlock.tdb:
No such file or directory
Failed to open byte range locking database
"tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/locking.tdb:
No such file or directory
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise module exiting"

The files brlock.tdb and locking.tdb are indeed absent but what creates them
in the first place? I have not had this problem previously and I am, as I
say, perplexed. For info I an running RH7.3 and have installed Samba from
the RPMS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Hewson
HS Technologies Ltd