[Samba] ACL support?

Kai Blin kai.blin at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Aug 27 00:31:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 03:04, Steve Litt wrote:
> Is it still true that in order for a Linux hosted Samba server to have NT
> ACL support, the Linux box must have an ACL aware file system such as XFS
> or Andreas Gruenbacher's kernel patch ("POSIX ACL")? I read this in chapter
> 4 of "Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours". In the time since that book was
> written, has an easier method been developed, or has a
> Linux-distro-supplied ACL aware filesystem emerged?

Check
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nativesupport
for out-of-the-box xfs support. SuSE 8.0 supports ACLs and Quotas for XFS. (I
use this), and I'd think the others do this, too.

> I'd like to avoid a kernel compile if it can be avoided.

If you use a distro that doesn't come with a heavily patched kernel (like SuSE
*sic*), compiling a kernel isn't that hard. You should do it for kicks, on a
box that isn't mission critical just to try it out once.. :)

Cheers, Kai

--
Kai Blin 	Linux system administrator 	Tel: Ring-86592
Allgemeine Chirurgie 	Universitaetsklinikum Tuebingen

Q:	Why did the chicken cross the road?
A:	He was giving it last rites.