[Samba] How do I create a globally accessible directory [partly solved] (XP works/98 doesn't)

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Mon Aug 26 03:54:11 GMT 2002

If my theory is correct, map to guest has to be in the [Global]
section.... Authentication has to take place *before* the client tells the
server what share it wants!

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Daevid Vincent wrote:

Thank you again Rashkae for the prompt replies and your helpful hints.

> If the default security = user  in the global section, SMB
> requires that the user log in successfully *before* the share
> name is sent from the client to the server... My transaltion
> of this is that security = share is kind of useless as a
> share level option. What you probably want is something in
> Global like map to guest = Bad User.

Still no go for Win98 :(

There really should be a "security = none" option to just not worry
about it. *sigh*

[MP3]
   comment = MP3 Audio Files
   path = /MP3
   public = yes
   read only = Yes
   only user = no
   browseable = yes
   writeable = no
   write list = dae51d, daevid, root
   admin users = dae51d, daevid, root
   username = pcguest
   guest ok = yes
   guest only = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   read list = pcguest
   map to guest = Bad User
   security = user

> You should also be aware that, though I can understand the
> frustration of trying to troubleshoot comptuer problems at
> late hours... rants about what turns off users from unix are
> also good at turning off potential help.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a HUGE Linux fan. And I've been mucking with
this for a couple days now. If you didn't catch my name, I have written
for MaximumLinux (before it went under) and was pretty much the catalyst
for getting that magazine started. I was always attended the SVLUG and
BALUG meetings when I lived in SF.

My point is still valid however I believe. Most users will shy away from
an OS that isn't brain-dead simple to use -- this is a major factor of
why Windows has such a huge marketshare (and also why Linux is only now
starting to gain ground with things like KDE/Gnome making it more user
friendly). I don't want to start an OS war or debate. I think they both
have their strengths and weaknesses. If anything, my statement has more
merit because I *am* a seasoned Linux user since the old Slackware days
when it came on a stack of floppies, and I'm feeling frustrated by lack
of sufficient documentation to do what would seem to be a very common
setup for SAMBA and a LAN. Clearly SAMBA is very powerful and therefore
has a certain level of complexity that comes with that territory. At the
same time, I feel that the SAMBA team (or someone) should have a FAQ or
HOWTO or MINI-HOWTO that simply and easily shows how to set up various
common scenarios.

> I don't know about step by step FAQ, but there *is* an
> official Samba book published by O'reilly.

I love O'reilly books and have several. I didn't think this task was
going to be so troublesome to get working that I needed a book... *sigh*

D.