[Samba] w2k and samba, printer properties hourglasses forver after driver upload + OK

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Mon Aug 26 03:45:16 GMT 2002

RH 7.2 (LPRng) samba installed from 2.2.5-1 rpm with the following
patches from http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/patches/jerry/post-2.2.5/:
Makefile.in.patch
addform.diff
ldap_start_tls.patch
parse_sec.patch
srv_spoolss_nt.patch

security=domain (using winbind), authenticate against windows pdc and
use windows wins server.

What I do:
Connect to \\share-name from w2k pro as printer admin, double-click
printers, right click on a printer in question, select properties.
I choose not to install a driver locally right now, viewing spooler
properties is fine.
Now I go to upload a new driver under the Advanced tab from disk.  I
point to the manufacturer's .inf, select correct printer, next, finish.

Now windows asks for *.inf on W2K Server CD-ROM, but I don't see one
that matches the printer.  Here should I just point back to the
manufacturer's .inf?  This is what I did.  Another time I selected the
directory from the CD-ROM, but windows didn't see anything it liked
there and prompted me again for *.inf on W2K Server CD-ROM.  Anyway, at
this point I just selected the manufacturer's OEMSETUP.INF again.

Windows notified me that the .inf file does not contain a Microsoft
digital signiature.  I clicked Yes, Continue.

Files upload to print share... I see them on the server in path/to/W32X86/2

I click OK (or Apply), and get the hourglass, and the properties window
for the printer becomes unresponsive.  If I later end that task and try
to print a test page, windows reports a failure.

Does anyone here see anything wrong in what I did?  What level logs
should I post?  I have successfully uploaded drivers and been able to
print using standard windows drivers for a different printer (LaserJet
IIISi).  But now that I'm trying to install drivers from disk for this
printer I get no luck.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel

smb.conf, potentially sensitive stuff removed:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# Date: 2002/08/14 15:21:42

# Global parameters
[global]