[Samba] How do I create a globally accessible directory [partly solved] (XP works/98 doesn't)

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Sun Aug 25 20:54:00 GMT 2002

I just want a simple, globally accessible directory for anyone on my
LAN. I don't care who they are, who they're logged in as on their
windows machine, I don't care about security (it's my own private
LAN!!!). Why is this so difficult to do? I've looked through the
archives (which by the way, could someone spend a few minutes and put a
SEARCH feature there. Following threads isn't exactly user friendly).
I've tried various configurations. I just don't get it. This shouldn't
be so difficult to do. Here is what I have currently and it seems to
work for the XP boxes, but not for Win98. Maybe this will help some
other poor sucker who's equally as frustrated as me. If there is a more
elegant or efficient way to do this, I'd love to know about it --
especially how the hell do I get a Win98 box to connect to this
share?!!! I believe the problem is the win98 user is logged in as "jme".
And unlike with win2k/xp, they can't connect as a different user.
UUUGGGHGHHH.

Currently I'm running RH7.3 & Samba RPM 2.2.5-1. I'm trying to connect a
few XP boxes and one Win98 box in a home LAN. All are IP range
192.168.0.x

I just want the [tmp] dir to be a globally read/write dumping ground to
exchange files, etc.

Furthermore, I want to share out all my mp3 files so that it is
read-only, but that "daevid (XP) / dae51d (linux)" can
modify/edit/delete them.

"daevid/dae51d" currently works just fine for all of this. He has an
account on the linux box. NONE of the other machines have accounts, nor
do I want to create accounts for them.

To get the "NO PASSWORD", use "smbpasswd -n pcguest" as root -- took a
while to figure that one out, since everyone spews out their smb.conf
setups, but nobody tells you about this vital part.

Also, the "preexec" line in [MP3] doesn't do jack shit it seems. There
is a file /tmp/logon that is empty, no matter what. Am I using it wrong?

Is there a step by step FAQ on how to make this all work? It seems this
is all a very common thing to do and yet the manuals and documentation
don't describe this at all in a way that's brain-dead simple to follow.
It's very frustrating for a novice to SAMBA. I don't want to get a PHD
in Microsoft networking and SAMBA to set up a simple share that I can do
in Windows by simply "right-click dir -> share". This is the kind of
stuff that makes people shy away from Unix.

-------------------------------------
smb.conf:
-------------------------------------
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /SAMBA
   security = share
   read only = no
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   security = SHARE
   log level = 3
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.
   guest ok = yes
   username = pcguest
   guest ok = yes
   guest only = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   read list = pcguest
   write list = pcguest

[MP3]
   comment = MP3 Audio Files
   path = /MP3
   security = SHARE
   public = yes
   read only = Yes
   only user = no
   browseable = yes
   writeable = no
   write list = dae51d, daevid, root
   admin users = dae51d, daevid, root
   log level = 3
   preexec = cat %u %H %U %G >> /tmp/logon
   username = pcguest
   guest ok = yes
   guest only = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   read list = pcguest

-------------------------------------
smbusers:
-------------------------------------
# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
# nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
root = administrator admin Administrator
dae51d = daevid

-------------------------------------
smbpasswd:
-------------------------------------
#
# SMB password file.
#
root:0:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
:[U          ]:LCT-00000000:root
ftp:14:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
:[U          ]:LCT-00000000:FTP User
nobody:99:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO
PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NU         ]:LCT-3D69B727:Nobody
pcguest:97:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO
PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NU         ]:LCT-3D69B7D7:pcguest
dae51d:500:017A40206826A7A3AAD3B435B51404EE:37415DEA65AD2DFD6DC3F197BCB4
B9F0:[U          ]:LCT-3CECCF72:Daevid Vincent