[Samba] (no subject)

Eric Lai eric_lai at acewise.com
Sun Aug 25 18:24:02 GMT 2002

Please do not send mail to me again!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-admin at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-admin at lists.samba.org]
On Behalf Of Paxton at happyhome
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 11:14 AM
To: samba help
Subject: [Samba] (no subject)

Greetings!

I'm sure the solution is simple, but describing the problem is long.
Here
goes.

I have a samba server on my network of mostly windows machines, and all
works fine.
The windows machines can read and write and create files and directories
just fine.

I have a  Linux machine on the network and although it can mount and
read
the files on the Samba server, I can not write to it.  When I check the
permissions on a directory where I can not write a file, no surprise, I
find
that group and others do NOT have write permission.
If I log in as root on the same machine, the permissions show the same
but
since it is root, it can write to the samba share.  If I attempt to
change
the permissions here to allow writing, it does not complain but they do
not
change.

But, surprise to me, If I log into the Samba machine (as root) and look
at
the directory permissions (I use KDE in all of this), I find that group
and
others DO HAVE write permission.

I hope this is clear.  What is going on here?
As they say, "Thanks in advance!"

Best Regards,
Paxton Scott