[Samba] Virtual servers - multiple sambas

Stephen Pusey scp at plexus.org
Sat Aug 24 17:52:01 GMT 2002

New to this list.  Running samba 2.2.4 set up as a PDC.  We've recently
added another department to our office network.  Ideally, I don't want
either department to see each others shares - just to be aware of the
shares in their own workgroups.  The documentation says that you can set up
virtual servers using the "netbios aliases" and the "%L" options in the
smb.conf file.  Well, I just haven't been able to get this to work. If the
netbios name is set (eg. "glendajackson") then "%L" will result in testparm
reporting that it cannot find "smb.conf.glendajackson".  If the netbios
name is not set then testparm reports that it cannot find "smb.conf. ".  It
just ignore the netbios aliases and there includes altogether - eg.
netbios aliases = humpty dumpty
include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.humpty
include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.dumpty

Of course, I have set the directories so that only people in the humtpy
department can access their files and vice versa - but I would rather  have
two separate workgroups  (which seems impossible under one pdc) with each
unaware of the other and being unable to see the users of the other group.
I'm about to go another route - set up a separate samba for each department
as kindly explained by Martin Rusko in
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2002-January/064275.html
and make a separate IP Alias for the other server
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Alias/commands.html
However, it would be so much nicer if this could have all been handled by
one instance of samba.  It would be nice if there was some kind of chroot
feature in Samba - as in ProFTPD - which would prevent users from seeing
the other shares.  I'm aware that browsing can be prevented - but this just
makes the share invisible to the whole workgroup.
I'd be delighted if someone could indicate that I've overlooked something
fundamental regarding the "%L" option for netbios aliases - as I am baffled
why the Samba team would have included it if it did not work (unless it has
been broken by recent updates).
I've seen other complaints about this in my pursuit of solutions - even the
admission of an error from one of the authors of O'Reilly's "Using
Samba"  http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-docs/2000-August/000262.html
regarding multiple workgroups - but no outright admission  that "%L" just
don't work.
Grateful for any suggestions.

SCP