[Samba] Samba as PDC

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Sat Aug 24 05:48:01 GMT 2002

do the following:

1.) make sure there is an entry in the unix/linx /etc passwd file.  It
should end in a $.

2.) use smbpasswd to delete the account for the machine.  It should be
something like machine$.  The whole command will look like this:

smbpasswd -x -m machine$

3.) use smbpasswd to re-add the account for the machine:

smbpasswd -a -m machine$

4.)  go to the workstation and attempt to join the domain.
The account you have to use when you're prompted for an account
authorized to add you to the domain is root.  If you don't have root
added as a user.  Stop and add root to the domain:

smbpasswd -a root

and assign a password

smbpasswd root

Once you have a root account you should be able to join the domain.

Step three is predicated on the assumption that you don't have a useradd
script defined in your smb.conf

you may want to put the win2k workstation isto some neutral state before
begining... i.e. add it to a non-existant workgroup and re-boot.  This
will clear any exist, potentially conflicting credentials floating
around on the win2k system.

It may seem a bit tedious, but it's how  I did it when win2k  support
first came on line and it always worked.

BTW, you didn't mention what service pack the win2k system is at.  There
used to be a sensitivity to the service packs, but that may have gone away.