[Samba] Logon Script

Maartin dinamite at ibi.co.za
Sat Aug 24 04:48:01 GMT 2002

      The netlogon option page 11 of 12

The final piece we're going to add to smb.conf (well, at least for now... )
is the logon script option. Like the [homes] and [profile] shares, there are
two pieces to the puzzle:

[global]
	logon script = netlogon.bat

# === shares ===
[netlogon]
	path = /home/netlogon
	read only = yes
	write list = tom

The [netlogon] share is administrative tool used primarily for globally
updating client machines with items like registry patches, anti-virus
updates, program updates, etc. Anything you want to "push" out to the
client, can be done via netlogon. In addition, you can use the share to
enforce a system policy on a client or clients or perhaps backup a select
group of files every time the user logs on. Creating scripts to run from
netlogon is beyond the scope of this tutorial, but you'll find plenty of
information on the Samba.org site and by searching Google with the string
"samba scripting".

Here's how netlogon works: Any time a user logon onto the PDC and the logon
script = option and [netlogon] share are present, Samba goes to the
indicated path and executes the file referenced by logon script. Once again,
some brief caveats are in order:

  a.. The file referenced by logon script can be called anything as long as
Windows recognizes it as an executable file.
  b.. If the file referenced is not found, Samba continues on its merry way
and connects the user to the requested share(s).
  c.. Be sure to set the UNIX-side permissions to executable.
  d.. To delegate responsibility for scripts in the netlogon share, create
an "admin" group and add this group to the write list = option in the form:
write list = @admin (the '@' notation signifies a group).
  e.. Be sure to test your scripts thoroughly in a non-production
environment. Trashing the registry on 600 client machines is not a good
career move.
Extract from IBM on how to setup a PDC,
I hope this help you a bit.

Cheers,