[Samba] Newbie question, Making samba use the /etc/passwd file instead of smbpasswd

Andrew Brampton andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 15:54:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I'm very new to *nix and really just playing with it to teach myself some
stuff... Anway I don't beleive my problem is a hard one, yet I can't seem to
find a answer online :(

Basically I've just installed FreeBSD 4.5 and Samba 2.2.2_3 (most likly not
the lastest but came with my distro)... I noticed that samba seems to use a
different set of users and passwords to the normal login usernames and
passwords, but I would like them to use the same set. For example I can
login to my box via ssh using the username andrew and do whatever... Now I
want to be able to access my bsd box from a windows machine using the same
username and password, a plan to give myself access to my home directory,
and maybe a general file store.

I hope this makes sense. I tried reading about PAM, but either I couldn't
figure it out or it wasn't what I wanted... If anyone could point me to a
tutorial I would be grateful.

Thanks for any replys
Andrew

P.S Also later on I'll be installing FTP/HTTP/POP daemons and want them to
all use the same password also.