[Samba] Samba Install

Brendan Harris bharris at stotch.com
Fri Aug 23 05:27:00 GMT 2002

Darryl,

If this is not an urgent, "get-it-done-ASAP" kinda thing, I would certainly get to know Linux as best you can -before- installing Samba.  My reasoning for this is: A) It will make the compilation, configuration and implimentation of Samba much easier for you and you won't feel like you're just doing what it tells you to do and not understanding why; and B) If anything goes wrong later on, you will have a general idea of what the possibilities are or will at least know where to start looking for the problem.

People often make the dangerous step of taking a unix-like operating system and never learning it.  They grab a distro like Mandrake, Corel or Red Hat and it does everything for them.  They feel content with the OS doing everything for them and never learn beyond the basics of the OS.  Then when something goes wrong, they have no idea what to do about it.

Since you are saying this is to interface with your Windows NT workstations, I assume this is for an actual company and if and when you get this Samba box in place, the company will soon become dependent on it.  If it goes down after having it in place for a few months, what is that going to do to the company?  What if you cannot bring it back up that day?

One more thing about using those distos of Linux (distros = Linux distributions) is that if you do the default install, it will load up X Windows and will boot automatically into X Windows.  If you're going to build a Linux server, you should learn to do it the right way from the get-go.  No X, no overloading it with a bunch of unnecessary daemons and server apps, no games, only what is necessary to get it going.  That will also minimize on the headaches.

So, I would learn the details of Linux first if I were you.  Install it a few times, learn to tweak it, learn how to move around on the command line and learn how to compile and configure applications first.

A very useful online resource:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/

Sorry for the lengthly post.

--Brendan