[Samba] Samba won't share: ?nmblookup problem

Richard Charlewood rcharl at cormack.uct.ac.za
Fri Aug 23 01:23:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I hope you can help!  I am having problems getting samba to share
across a large private network.  The problem looks a bit like the
problem is in resolving the name to an IP but I can't work out why.

The network is a private (10.) network, and the PC's connecting to
it are named and identified through Wins. All the PC's are running
Novell clients to connect although a large number are also running
Client for Microsoft Networks.

Sometimes I can see the samba server through clients' Network
Neighbourhood, currently I can't. When I can see it, and I try to
access it, I'm told it can't find the server.  Shares set up on some
of the PC's work so I don't think its a port blocking problem.

Part of the problem may be that the netmask for the server is
10.184.156.255  but the Wins server is sitting on 10.184.152.241,
but making the netmask for announcing 10.184.255.255 hasn't
helped. I even tried adding the server's IP no to a Win95 PC's
lmhosts.smb file but it wouldn't load the IP no and so didn't help!

I'm running RedHat 7.3 and Samba 2.2.5-1.i398.rpm from
samba.org.

The tests I've done include:
pinging client from server on ip no and name: successful
pinging server from client on ip no and name: successful
checking server is registered with Wins server: successful
smbd is running
smbclient -L server-name -N : successful
nmbd is running
nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 __SAMBA__ : successful
nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 server-name : successful
nmblookup -U 10.184.156.255 server-name : failed
nmblookup -U 10.184.255.255 server-name : failed

And here is my smb.conf file:
[global]
   workgroup = G-S-H
   netbios name= Haem-Linux
   server string = Linux RH7.3
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
   remote browse sync = 10.184.156.43 10.184.255.255
   remote announce = 10.184.156.43 10.184.255.255
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   wins server = 10.184.152.241
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/Public
   public = yes
   read only = yes

Any help would be really appreciated!!  I'm hoping to persuade the
powers that be that we should be using Linux instead of Novell to
save on licensing - but if I can't get Samba to work I'm dead meat!

Thanks for reading this far, and even more thanks if you can help!
Richard