[Samba] Basic SAMBA configuration help

Jason Valenzuela jason.valenzuela at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 21 12:29:01 GMT 2002

	I've recently installed Samba 2.2.5(from source) on a linux 2.4.19 system
and am having great difficulty configuring it to work with w2k clients. My
inital goal is to have Samba act as a PDC so that I may have logins to the
network and provide basically a single public disk share and a home share
per user. After two and a half days of dismal failures I have tried to
simply get the Samba server to show up in the Network Places window, still
with no avail. I have poured through man pages and read about 60% of the
OReilly Using Samba book, hopefully I can find some help here.
	I had successfully joined my w2k client to the domain, even though the
client paused with the hour glass for at least a full minute while doing
so. I then went to reboot and try and login to the domain using a regular
user account. Wouldn't happen, logs kept saying user [] not found, user
nobody invalid in this system. Well I don't have a 'nobody' user but I KNOW
that the login name and password used are correct and present in the
smbpasswd file. So after many hours of failing to get a PDC working I tried
to get a simple workgroup working. With a simple smb.conf file as follows:

[global]
workgroup = workgroup_name
server string = Samba %v

No shares, just a simple workgroup and a server string to start off with.
I removed my w2k client from the domain and added it to the workgroup_name
workgroup and rebooted. Still nothing can be seen in the Network Places
window, I can find the computer by searching for \\server_netbios_name but
it shows nothing in the location column and no server string. It says that
it is not accessable if I try to open it.
	Perhaps someone can help me get a simple configuration up and working and
then move on to my final PDC need.

Thanks in advance,
Jason Valenzuela