[Samba] Shares not visible to Win2K users.

Gagneet Singh gagneet at acmet.com
Tue Aug 20 22:14:00 GMT 2002

Hi!
    We have two workgroups in our organization. One ACT and the other
ACTLINUX. The ACT workgroup is authenticated by an WinNT domain server (on
HP eServer Series). And ACTLINUX workgroup is the Samba Server. I am using
samba 2.2.1a, on a Red Hat 7.2 distribution installed Machine. and the
network domain logons are controlled by the WinNT machine. (This contains
all the users list and the same is duplicated on the Linux machine.) I am
not using any subnets.

    My smb.conf file has been described below. In this I have created
individual shares for each user using
                        include = smb.conf.%U

    Now when I try and connect to the ACTLINUX workgroup, going via Windows
Explorer to My Network Places ->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network.
This shows the two workgroups ACT and ACTLINUX. But when I open the Samba
Server in the ACTLINUX workgroup only those shares created in the smb.conf
file are visible and those for the User created dynamically by calling the
approprite smb.conf.%U file are not visible.

    This problem does not occur when I go directly to the ACTLINUX workgroup
shortcut I have created on my desktop.

PLEASE HELP...

Gagneet

The smb.conf and smb.conf.gagneet files.

SMB.CONF

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/08/17 16:01:12

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = ACTLINUX
         netbios name = BACKUPS
         server string = Backup File Server on {%h}
         security = SHARE
         domain logons = Yes
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         debug level = 2
         max log size = 0
         dns proxy = No
         admin users = gagneet
         hosts allow = 192.168.14.
         printing = lprng
         include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%U

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[public]
         comment = Shared folder for all Users
         path = /public
         valid users = nobody
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

SMB.CONF.GAGNEET

[homes]
         comment = Share for Gagneet {on %a} using IP (%I)
         path = /home/gagneet
         valid users = %S
         hide dot files = Yes
         admin users =