[Samba] load balancing CIFS/Samba

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Tue Aug 20 13:15:00 GMT 2002

At 11:02 21/08/2002, Blue Lang wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:
>
> > when you are running samba , you will start nmbd also which resolves your
> > unix host on which samba running as netbios
> > each time client access \\foo\bar, dns will send the request one by one as
> > you list ips.
>
>unless i misunderstand what you're suggesting, this does not work.
>
>in DNS, foo = 192.168.1.1, .2, .3
>
>192.168.1.1 = IP hostname foo1, samba server name foo1, share name bar
>192.168.1.2 = IP hostname foo3, samba server name foo2, share name bar
>192.168.1.3 = IP hostname foo4, samba server name foo3, share name bar
>
>windows client does start->run->\\foo\bar
>DNS returns 192.168.1.1
>windows makes connection to 192.168.1.1 and asks for foo
>which does not exist
>failure
>
>the only way i can make it work at all is to have the smb server name be
>the same on all boxes.
>
>does that make sense now?

Could you not use the netbios aliases smb.conf option to alias each samba
host to 'foo'?
ie in smb.conf have

for machine1
netbios name = foo1
netbios aliases = foo

for machine2
netbios name = foo2
netbios aliases = foo

etc...

this would then cause the samba hosts to be listening for the calling name
'foo' as well as their specified name.

(This is just an idea - don't know if it will work!)

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net     www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.
j.s.dean at ex.ac.uk       www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.
root at deanuk.net www.deanuk.net