[Samba] load balancing CIFS/Samba

Blue Lang blue at b-side.org
Tue Aug 20 12:15:01 GMT 2002

Hi Folks,

I'm trying out some ideas for loadbalancing Samba servers with some
replication underneath. Right now, we're trying to use DNS round robin,
just to see if it works, but it isn't.

Our basic config is that we have the same share and NMB server name on
every node. Each node has a different IP hostname, which are all
round-robin'ed to a single hostname. When we try to do requests from
clients on the same subnet, everything grinds to a halt. It looks like all
of our requests are being responded to by every node.

Does that make sense? Does anyone have any insight into loadbalancing CIFS
that they might share?

Thanks!

Blue Lang