[Samba] re:samba file share tricks

steve liethen sl at goodmusic.com
Tue Aug 20 11:09:01 GMT 2002

To all, I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer. I am moving
all of our file servers from nt/novell boxes to linux(rh7.3,samba2.2.5).
All has gone well, after working out the various os differences, etc.,
but this last one has me stumped. The clients are all win98se boxes. The
main program is a protected mode dos data base frontend running in a
"dos box", and all has been fine for years. There is a "trick" under
novell that "hides" the data files from casual use/view by the clients,
but allows the "dos.exe" full file permissions. It looks like this...
	\MainDir
	   program.exe
		\dataDir.1
		\dataDir.2
The clients have "read.only" permission for the	program.exe, which is
read over the wire and then run/excuted on the client box. All the
interaction with the data is done exclusively by the the program. I
can't
for the life of me figure out a way to do this under linux.
Cheers!...Steve~