[Samba] Windows XP Samba PDC Login Problems

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Tue Aug 20 10:37:00 GMT 2002

I've read a lot of posts of people trying to get Samba to work as a PDC
for XP clients.

First, two notes:

1) XP Home edition does NOT support a PDC environment out of the box
(not aware if it can be configured to do so with additional packages,
etc...anyone?).

2) XP Professional DOES support an NT PDC environment out of the box,
albeit some measures need to be taken first.  A friend found this url on
the net which provides such instructions.  I tried this in my lab, and
it worked flawlessly.  The only observation I would make is that the
path to find the "security policy" item is a bit messed up - in the XP
version I installed, he was missing a step.  This should not be a
problem.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1009126072

Once these two were done, I was able to do everything (with Samba 2.2.5
as PDC): domain authentication, netlogon, roaming profiles, printer
driver upload/download, etc.

Hope this helps!

Best

Diego