[Samba] Sharing a CD-RW

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Aug 20 09:49:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 11
> From: Kai Blin <kai.blin at med.uni-tuebingen.de>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Sharing a CD-RW
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:14:59 +0200
>
> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 12:49, Buchan Milne wrote:
>

>> > I'm a newbie at samba (I just configured the samba server on my Linux =
>> > box). I was wondering if, along with the printer and disk space, I could
>> > = even share the CD Writer on the linux box as a device which my
>> > "windows" = friends could map and burn CDs on.
>> > any comments would be of great help
>

>> Not with samba until the kernel supports packet writing (maybe you can
>> compile a kernel with suitable patches?).
>>
>> IMHO, the better solution is:
>>
>> http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/
>

> Webmin also allows some of this...

AFAICS, webmin has tools to allow you to write files that exist on the
server. webCDwriter is (was?) primarily for files that exist on the client.

Also, I wouldn't give webmin access to non-administrators!

webCDwriter also has a unix command line client (files2cd and a few
others) which are quite handy to use to write CDs from one unix server
to a CDRW on a different server without messing with NFS/smbfs/nbd's

IMHO, webCDwriter is what he wants.

Buchan