[Samba] WinNT4 and Win2000 different behaviour authenticating to printer shares ?

Mike List mike.list at gmx.net
Tue Aug 20 09:20:18 GMT 2002

I have set-up a Samba server (FreeBSD 4.5 release and Samba 2.2.2) which is
used in our Office as a PDF-converter. The Server gets the file as a
Postscript file using a Samba Printer share and then sends it back to the user by
e-mail.

This all works excellent using Win2000 on the clients. The user prints to
the share PDF using a Postscript driver, the print job gets sent and a few
seconds later the PDF file arrives in the user's inbox.

Due to other software incompatibilities we are forced to use WinNT4.0SP6 on
some of our clients. If I do the same from those stations,  I can print to
the share, the file gets converted to a PDF but then is sent back to the user
"nobody". It seems like WinNT does authenticate differently to the printer
share than Win2000. %u gives me the user when printing to the share using
Win2000, but %u connecting with WinNT4.0 gives my the user "nobody" ( I tried with
different users and even different Service packs).

Can somebody give me a hint why this is happening and how I could get the
username when printing from the NT4.0 clients ?

Thank you for any help!

Mike

smb.conf entries:

[global]
	workgroup = LOCAL
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	default = PDF
	netbios name = R2D2
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	dns proxy = no
	load printers = yes
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	printing = cups
	printer admin = @ntadmin, ml
	username map = /usr/local/etc/smb_users.map
	server string = Samba Server

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

[PDF]
	printable = yes
	comment = Virtual printer to create postscript
	admin users = ml
	print command = /usr/local/bin/prncom2pdf %s "%J" %u
	path = /tmp

http://www.gmx.net