[Samba] RH 7.3 + Samba DC

Maartin dinamite at ibi.co.za
Tue Aug 20 09:16:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,
very new to the linux thing.

I have tried our local linux list but no luck.

I have setup Samba on the box which is running Rh7.3 with Samba 2.2.3a-6 (server/common & client)
I got a tut from IBMs site on how to setup a pdc with samba and redhat.

I followed the tut step for step but still when I want to login on wind98 onto the box I get a message
that the pdc is not found.

When I try and locate the via network neighborhood on Win2k it does not appear, I then try a 'search'
via win2k but the pc is not to be found. When I use tcp/ip I can ping it and tracert to it.

I'm lost what is missing ? Listed below is my smb.conf:
# /etc/samba/smb.conf
# samba configuration file
# created on 20/08/2002 @ 18:26  by Maartin
# last updateed:

[global]
        ;basic server settings
        workgroup=home_net
        netbios name=linpdc
        server string=Samba PDC running %v
        socket options=TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

        ;PDC and Master browser settings
        os level=64
        preferred master=yes
        local master=yes
        domain master=yes

        ;security and logging settings
        security=user
        encrypt passwords=yes
        log file=/var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level=2
        max log size=500
        hosts allow=127.0.0.1 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
        domain logons=yes

        ;user profiles and homke directory
        logon home=\\%L\%U\.profile
        logon drive=Z:
        logon path=\\%L\profiles\%U

        ;this statement below will add the user automatically to linux
        add user script=/usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u

        ;sync linux passwords
        unix password sync=yes
        passwd program=/etc/passwd %u
        passwd chat=*New*LUNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*LUNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*LUNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*LUNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

#=======================Shares=======================
[homes]
        comment=Home Directories
        browseable=no