[Samba] File permissions

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Tue Aug 20 07:45:01 GMT 2002

It isn't.  That's why it's best to do backups on a quiet system.  (I do mine
at 4 am.  If people are editing files at 4 am, they have serious issues. ;)
)

It's a bit of a trade-off.  Personally I'd rather have a backup of part of a
file than no backup at all, especially if it's a log file.  That's a big
sore point for me with backups under Windows, files that are constantly open
for one reason or another, such as log files, can never be backed up.

The only files it's usually a problem for are database files, where a
partial update might mean corrupted tables or inconsistant indexes.  The
solution is to use the database's built-in backup functionality (MySQL, for
example, has the ability to do this) or take measures to make sure the
database won't be changed during the backup (shut down the server, or lock
all the tables.)