[Samba] File permissions

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Aug 20 05:37:01 GMT 2002

Another approach.

If what you are doing is getting the kids to send in school assignments via
the share, why not write a cron job which monitors that share, say ever 5
secs, and when a file appears on the share, it is removed and stored
somewhere else. Or, maybe the cron job could just change permissions on the
file to prevent the user from accessing the file anymore.

Or, why not have your students print the file. Could windows be persuaded
to just dump the document intact to a "print" spool directory via a
print command on the window client, and make in the share in smb.conf:
print command = echo "Another assignment arrived" | mail -s "More work" YourMailingAddress

Hey. This is linux. Imagination rules.

Joel