[Samba] ldap question

Will Schleter schleter at netlore.com
Tue Aug 20 02:25:01 GMT 2002

The more I read, the more I get confused.
I've perused the various resources about integrating samba and LDAP,
but I haven't been able to determine how to do the following:

I'd like to set up samba to authenticate against an LDAP server,
but only to validate the password.

I don't control the LDAP server, and I don't mind creating local
user accounts and configuration files,
but it isn't clear how I configure samba to check just the password.

Can anybody tell me if this possible and perhaps point me in the right
direction?

Running Redhat 7.1 and Samba 2.2.5 (can upgrade if necessary)
Don't know much about the LDAP server, but I have the configuration info
and can successfully use PAM_LDAP to authentic linux logins.

Thanks in advance

Will Schleter
wschleter at utk.edu