[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 with Filemaker Pro 5.5 Databases

Simon Hobson shobson-lists at colony.com
Mon Aug 19 23:18:03 GMT 2002

Jeffrey Borg wrote:

>Ever since we moved the *.fp5 files off a windows 2000 server and onto samba
>filemaker is now 20% the speed it was before.
>
>It was happening with samba 2.2.3a and I have just recently upgraded to
>2.2.5 and it didn't fix the problem.
>
>I suspect it's a locking issue and the speed of getting locks on the files.

The simple answer is that you really should not launch (filemaker)
databases from a file server - the database file should always reside on
the machine which is serving it over the network.

For small databases, the standard program is OK, but the server is
definitely reccommended when things start to grow. I've never regretted
making that investment.

Have you tried the Linux version of the FileMaker Pro Server ? I havn't
tried it myself, but I would expect it to perform much better than opening
a database file off a file share.

Simon

--
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.