[Samba] ACL: need additional samba option ?

Oliver Thinnes O.Thinnes at pulsaar.de
Mon Aug 19 23:02:06 GMT 2002

Hi.

I had the same problem but I needed ACLs for groups.

Setting the rights of 'normal' UNIX group to '---' caused the effective
access rights of the ACL groups to be set to '---'.

Therefore I set the right of the top directory to
chown root:root DIR
chmod 2770 DIR (sticky bit for group)

Newly created directories belong the group 'root' and not the group the
user that is connected to the share. Don't use 'force group = root' as the
users then connect to the share with group = root.

I don't use 'inherit permissions = yes' as the UNIX bits are responsible
for archive bit / readonly bit. And everytime you save an existing file the
permissions are updated.

I use default ACL entries to inherit the needed permissions and don't want
samba to change the permissions.

I agree with you that there's improved support for ACLs needed.

Quota checks UNIX user, group and other. Not entries in ACLs.