[Samba] Windows XP Samba PDC Login Problems

Sam Barasch barasch at biostat.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 19 19:11:01 GMT 2002

Sono,

I have a similar experience to share - one of the system admins who works had
written a program to update smbpasswd - removing listings that were not in
the NIS passwd map.

There was a file that contained the smbpasswd lines for machine accounts that
had to be added back in - after they had been deleted by the program he had
written.

It turned out that the entry for the machine account in the smbpasswd file
was periodically being changed for machine accounts.  I'd guess that it was
changed about once every 28-30 days.

The section of the line that would normally contain a user's password was
changed for the machine account - and when we pasted in the backup copy of
the machine account info, it was stale and the machine account was unusable.
We had to take the machine out of the domain and add it back in again.

Is that your experience?  If so, watch the smbpasswd file for things that
could be modifying the machine account entries.

Good luck,
Sam Barasch
Dept. of Biostatistics
UW Madison