[Samba] Printers Always Paused - A Solution

Shane Drinkwater Shane_Drinkwater at pa-ucl.com
Mon Aug 19 12:51:01 GMT 2002

Paul,
That works pretty slick!!!!
			Thank you
			Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Cochrane [mailto:paul at tortc.tuht.scot.nhs.uk]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 9:56 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Printers Always Paused - A Solution

I had a problem with Samba 2.2.5 with the printers being
permanantly paused to Windows machines. They could print OK - it
was only the status that was wrong.

The reason for this was because I had used the word office in the
printer name / comment. This was causing the parser which
recognises the printer status to find 'off' pausing the printer.

A quick fix for this is to replace the line in source/printing/lpq_parse.c

Do a search for the line stat1_strings is defined and put a space on
both sides of off. The line should read something like

static char *stat1_strings[] = { "offline", "disabled", "down", " off ",
"waiting", "no daemon", NULL };

This stops the printer being paused (after recompiling & restarting).
This might cause a problem if your printer status does actually report
"off" somewhere in the line but a quick test of a HP jetdirect printer
didn't mention off at all when turned off.

Hope this helps someone somewhere cause I spent a couple of
hours trying to solve this

Paul Cochrane         |       Tayside Orthopaedic &         |
                      | Rehabilitation Technology Centre    |
                      | Ninewells Hospital & Med. School    |
                      | Dundee, Scotland, UK.               |
                      | DD1 9SY.                            |