[Samba] Problem Sharing disks to a W2K client

Wojtusiak, John JWojtusiak at matlensilver.com
Mon Aug 19 11:27:01 GMT 2002

All,
I've built Samba 2.2.2 environments on two Sun(solaris8) boxes. The user community here is a split between NT4.0, XP and W2K. My NT4.0(myself included) and XP users can map to all shares located on my Unix boxes with no problem..ie. they can see them by viewing entire network and selecting the correct host ,etc...and by Explorer,Map Network Drive, Browse, selecting Host and then choosing the desired share. Once mapped, the share is available for automount on reboot. Here's my problem.....My W2K users cannot do the; Explorer,Map Network Drive, Browse, selecting Host and then choosing the desired share. But if they do;view entire network and selecting the correct host ,etc. they can see the desired share once they log in. Now if they go back and attempt to do;Explorer,Map Network Drive, Browse, selecting Host etc......they can see the shares.
Can anyone please tell me what's going on? I've included a copy of my smb.conf file...just in case.

[global]
        workgroup = MSGNET
        netbios name = SNOOPY
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = yes
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
        log level = 1
        deadtime = 10
        preferred master = false
        local master = no