[Samba] RedHat + XP workgroup

Brian Beaver beaverb at nexus.dmsc.k12.ar.us
Mon Aug 19 10:42:00 GMT 2002

{Sorry for long post)

I'm attempting to set up a workgroup share on a RedHat 7.3 box (Samba
2.2.5-1) for a network of Windows XP Pro machines.  These machines also
log into a Novell Netware 4.11 server (Client32 4.83e) for email, so I
don't want to set up another domain controller (for more logins) on this
network (academic K-12, lot of teachers and elementary kids).

Netware 4.11 doesn't see IDE drives larger than 8GB; and I'm having to
load about 11GB of educational software on this Linux machine (80GB hard
drives).  I'd also prefer to have guest only access to the machine share.

Am I going to have to set this up as a PDC and create machine accounts for
each XP machine?

OK, what I need is to set up a workgroup share.  It is named cybered.

Here's the smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = SAMBA SERVER
	server string = Samba Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	null passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	os level = 34
	preferred master = True
	dns proxy = No
	hosts allow = 170.xx.xx.0/255.255.255.128
	guest = ftp

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[cybered]
	path = /oden
	force directory mode = 755
	force create mode = 755
	comment = Cyber Ed Software CD share
	mangle case = yes
	public = yes
	guest = ok
	guest only = yes

Thanks,

Brian Beaver, M.Ed. Technology Coordinator
DeQueen-Mena Educational Cooperative
305 S. Hornberg Ave., Gillham, AR 71841
870.386.2251  FAX:  870.386.7731