[Samba] Winbind in Samba 2.2.5 not automatically mapping the NT users with corresponding UNIX accounts

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Mon Aug 19 10:18:01 GMT 2002

Here is the fix for the problem we were having:  I had used "+" as my
winbind separator. I changed it to an underscore,  and my system (on which I
use NIS) was then able to correctly find and match the NT username to the
corresponding UNIX username without using a username map file.  I assume I
still need to  have "winbind use default domain = yes" set to make this
work,  I didn't test without that parameter.

Why did this matter?  In the smb.conf man page winbind separator section,
it says that "+" as a winbind separator can cause problems with group
membership on some systems because + is used as a special character for NIS
in /etc/group.  Thinking that + might react adversely with NIS username
lookups as well,   I changed my winbind separator to something less
controversial,  and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Hope this saves someone else some headaches,

    Karen Wieprecht
    karen.wieprecht at jhuapl.edu <mailto:karen.wieprecht at jhuapl.edu>