[Samba] Join Domain to SAMBA from Win2K

Jerry Mercks mercksjt at comcast.net
Mon Aug 19 10:03:01 GMT 2002

I had the same problem. Have you created a machine account for the win 2k box?
First I created the machine account. There is a way to do it automatically.
I'll come back to that. After that I created a samba user named root. (May be
able to create account with another name so long as samba admin rights are
granted. Just wanted it to first work). It seemed to work after that. I
joined the domain with no problem.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the win 2k machine from
crashing after I login. Probably unrelated to Samba, though.

IBM has a tutorial on using a Samba machine as a domain controller that helped
me. You may want to check it out. There is info on automatically creating
machine accounts in tutorial. Also some info on security for machine accounts
and user accounts. Tutorials may also be downloaded in pdf format for
printing or future reference.

Go to:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks

Then on menu on left side select linux --> education

There is a short registration process involved. Takes just a minute.

Lots of free info for newbies and more experienced.

Hope this helps

--
Jerry Mercks, MCSE
Phone: 256 881 1492

Confidentiality Notice: This is a private communication. If you are not the
named addressee on this message please discard it and notify me immediately.
Please be informed that any use, distribution, copying, disclosure or
reliance on the contents of this message by anyone other than the named
addressee is not appropriate and may be in breach of laws relating to
confidential information.