[Samba] SAMBA and WIN2K server/domain

Tom Warfield twarfield at astcorp.com
Sat Aug 17 11:01:01 GMT 2002

We have a SAMBA box that I have setup using winbind.  The goal of this
project is to make the SAMBA box a member of the Win2K domain and be
able to share files off the box with other within the domain.
Everything appeared to go smoothly, which it should since I use Debian
and just downloaded the packages for SAMBA and winbind. Also I can see
that the box is a member of the domain in Win2K server.

I used this article I referenced for setup of winbind:
  http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbind.html

Alright now here is the problem.  Even though I see the usernames with
domain in my passwd file and everything appears to be setup correctly I
can not get this thing to authenticate a user and let me in.  If I set
it to guest I can get into the share.  But as soon as I do any changes
to the system and try and add just users/groups it wont work.  Anyone
have any ideas or clues to what I could be doing wrong?  Of course I
know your going to tell me that you need logs, but I wasn't sure on what
logs to send since there are several and also what level should I put
the box at for debugging?

Tom