[Samba] Samba Won't start on Boot.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Aug 16 12:29:00 GMT 2002

Here are my entries for nmbd, smbd, and swat.
This reminds me that I start nmbd and smbd as standalone daemons. Seems
to work better that way. I can't see any reason not to.
BTW, nmbd and smbd will not start on bootup as you have it configured, since
that is the purpose of inetd. And, if you try to start them as stand alone
daemons, they won't start since inetd is listening on the ports they are
trying to connect to. This all makes sense.
Joel

swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400 root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat -a
#
# my changes for samba
# netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd -d1

# netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/nmbd

# netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/nmbd nmbd
#netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd   /usr/sbin/smbd -d2

Joel