[Samba] samba & acl & xfs

Ken McCord ken at themccords.com
Thu Aug 15 19:51:01 GMT 2002

Antonio Nikolic wrote:

>Hi all, again.
>
>I am trying to set up samba with acl-support on a debian woody (final) box.
>The kernel has got XFS-support and getfacl and setfacl are working fine since
>I have built the acl-debian packages from SGI's acl-sources. Also attr-dev, acl-dev
>and the appropriate kernel-headers are installed. The acl.h can be found in /usr/include/sys/.
>But all my efforts trying to implement xfs are honored by samba with the well known configure
>messages:
>  checking for _acl... no
>  checking for __acl... no
>  checking for _facl... no
>  checking for __facl... no
>  [..]
>  checking whether to support ACLs... checking for acl_get_file in -lacl... no
>  checking for ACL support... no
>
>I did ldconfig after installing attr-dev and removed config.cache, nothing helped!
>so, what is wrong here? what am I missing?
>
>thx in advance,
>tony.n

>Die clevere Geldreserve: der DiBa-Privatkredit. Funktioniert wie ein Dispo,
>ist aber viel günstiger! Alle Infos: http://diba.web.de/?mc=021104

Hmmm...I just installed a clean copy of Woody on a box.  I patched my
Linux sources with SGI's XFS 1.1 tarball and rolled a kernel.  After a
reboot, I did an 'apt-get source samba' and a 'dpkg-buildpackage'.

Here's a few things I can think of:

- What version of the Linux kernel did you install Woody from/are
running?  If you took the default, then you're running a 2.2.x kernel.
 I'm using a 2.4.18 kernel (At the boot prompt when initially installing
Woody, type 'bf24' to install a 2.4 kernel).
- When you compiled your kernel, did you include Posix ACL support
(under file systems when you run 'make menuconfig').
- Before compiling the kernel, I installed Woody's acl and xfsprogs
packages.  Do you have them installed (it sounds like you compiled them
from source).

HTH,

Ken McCord