[Samba] Samba for a Corporate File Server?

Tim Allen timallen at ls83.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 05:56:00 GMT 2002

It was very interesting to hear Craig's comments about moving over to a
Samba server. I think you precisely encapsulated the issues involved in
doing this - i.e. the various incompatibilities that any organization may or
may not encounter. Certainly, in the last couple of releases Samba has made
great strides with many of these issues.

I run a network for a very small organization. We'd been using NT4 server
for a number of years without absolutely zero downtime or problems of any
sort. It therefore required quite a leap of faith to finally pull the plug
on that server and move completely over to Samba. I started running Samba in
the Summer of 2000 in a non-critical capacity and only killed NT4 server a
few weeks ago, after progressively more intensive testing.

The reasons for moving to Samba were firstly allow us to standadize on a
single server operating system (Linux) as well as breaking with the
Microsoft upgrade cycle as successive operating systems are obsoleted. My
experience here is that NT4, W2k and Linux are all rock solid operating
systems (howls of horror!).

So far, our experiences with Samba have been very good. A couple of months
now of full use and no funnies. We use an Access database all the time as
well as Office applications and schematic capture and PCB design tools
(Innoveda PowerLogic/PCB). Call me feint-hearted but I've always kept
Oplocks turned off, in light of the problems that have been reported on this
list.

I'd suggest to Bill putting Samba on a separate server (non PDC to keep
things simple) to start with. Start off using it as a print server and a few
non-critical file shares. Gradually move things over to this server as your
confidence in Samba grows. As the last step, make it the PDC.

This is really exactly what you Craig said.

Tim