[Samba] ACL in Linux and AIX

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Wed Aug 14 21:50:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:57:56 +0400
"phil" <athena35 at guetali.fr> wrote:

> Now I'm trying to do the same with a SuSE distribution (8.0) of Linux
> and what a waste of time ! Downloading, compiling, patching and until
> now it's not really succesfull (setfacl) ! Sure something must be wrong
> in the way I try to install all the stuff from aclbits but if someone
> has a good idea to help me I'll enjoy it!

you are right, our kernel is heavily patched with other thingys, so the
bestbits patches will not apply without finetuning. But it is possible, I
have done it myself. You could have a look here:

ftp://ftp.bestbits.at/contrib/suse/7.3/i386/

Andreas has stored an already patched SuSE 2.4.16 kernel + acl-package
here. I think it should work under 8.0 but I have tested it only with 7.2.
This way, you only have to patch the fileutils.

> May be something should be done to improve the distribution of these
> extensions.

Lighten up! Better days are just around the corner. I think the upcoming
distros are likely to include ext2/3 ACLs.

Until this, try using the SuSE 8.0 with XFS (but be careful with this fs
on production servers). It already includes ACLs, you only have to install
the acl package from the CDs. The pitfall is, it looks like the fileutils
on SuSE 8.0 are not patched...you got to do this yourself again. Together
with building a ACL-enabled Samba, of course.

Hope that helps,
Goetz