[Samba] Problems with SPOOLSS WinNT driver uploads

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Aug 14 21:04:01 GMT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Tim Allen wrote:

> After a week of concerted experimentation with the spoolss driver
> uploads, We've also come to the conclusion that if at all practical,
> it's a whole lot easier to just install the drivers on the clients.

I disagree, but that's just me :-)  But your diagnosis about some
drivers being more well behaved than others is spot on.

> 2 is obviously the interesting case, as it indicates differences between
> Samba and NT4 servers. A particular issue that we had was with an HP
> driver, originally installed on an NT server and working without
> problems with NT and W2k clients. This driver would upload without
> problems to a Samba server, and function correctly with NT4 clients.
> However, with W2k clients, applications which tried to change the
> devmode settings did not work correctly.

The Device mode must be initialized.  If not, strange things will happen.
Install the driver on the server and set the page orientation to
get the client to generate a device mode for the server ( as a printer
admin of course ).

cheers, jerry