[Samba] Newbie - RedHat 7.2, Samba 2.2.5 problem - I'm begging here

Barry deFreese bdefreese at cox.net
Wed Aug 14 07:06:00 GMT 2002

Hello Samba Guru's,

I have been fighting with Samba on my RedHat 7.2 machine on my home LAN for
about two weeks now.  Had no problems getting it working on a machine at work
running Debian powerpc 'woody' and Samba 2.2.1a but for the life of me I
can't get it working at home.  It appears to be a netbios problem.  The box
shows up in network neighborhood and when I do a net view from one of the
windoze machines (ME and W2K).  However, if I do an nbtstat -A 192.168.10.69
(The IP of my RedHat box) from windoze, I get a host not found error.  I am
trying to use Samba for WINS.

A couple of strange things to note.  For some reason I get the nmbd daemon
running twice.  Is that a problem??  Also, I can do an smbclient connection
to one of the windoze machines but if I try to do an mount -t smbfs -o
username=bdefreese, password =xxxxx //winme/ddrive /tmp/test I get an error
saying that the directory does not exist??

Here is a copy of my current smb.conf file though there have been many
iterations:

[global]
	workgroup = CAMELOT
	server string = Samba Server
	hosts allow = 192.168.10. 127.
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	load printers = yes
	printing = lprng
	netbios name = BDLINUX
	encrypt passwords = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	os level = 34
        domain master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	dns proxy = no
	browse list = yes
	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
	log level = 10
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0

[public]
	path = /tmp
	read only = no
	public = yes

Can anyone please help me??  I have read the Using Samba book from O'Reilly,
the HOWTO from RedHat, LinuxOrbit, and Samba itself.  Post this problem on a
RedHat mailing list and a couple of other mailing lists to no avail.  At this
point it's a pride thing to get this darn thing working!!

Thank you,

Barry deFreese
Newbie